DTD Episode 62 Show Notes
You Can Control Your Thoughts! Do You?
The human brain is amazing! It’s a part of us but almost acts as a separate entity at times, especially if we let it. And it sure can keep busy! Left to wander our brans can create drama! Do you just let your mind meander or are you intentional with your thoughts?
In every moment you have the opportunity to choose what you focus on.
Choose what your brain places on, what I call, your radar screen.
And in every situation you are in you can be focused on the present in a positive way, focused on the present in a negative way or focused on a time that has passed or hasn’t happened yet.
Many of my clients spend lots of time over analyzing experiences they’ve already had, beating themselves up about where they went wrong or didn’t use the perfect words.
While there is, of course, some benefit to learning from your history, you don’t want to spend a lifetime there!
Others I work with spend a lot of time anticipating the future. They try to figure out every different possible outcome for a current situation and create a plan for each. What if this happens? Then I’ll do this. What if that happens? I don’t want that to happen! I think I can avoid that by doing this!
If this happens that would be great! But I think I need to follow this path or get this person to say this for that to even be a possibility. I’d better get on that.
While creating a solid plan for the future is good you don’t want to miss out on your present.
How many times do you complete a routine only to realize you were completely unaware of your actions? You think, “Did I actually wash my hair?” Or, “Wow, I drove here already!”
How often are you consumed with thoughts and in your own world when you could be connecting with the people around you?
Be intentional about your thoughts. Let them serve you.
- If it is learning time, yes, go back over past events to see what you could have done better. But do it from a positive place. Give yourself grace, take note and move on. Beating yourself up about something that has already happened does not serve you.
- Creating an action plan? That’s a great time to focus on the future to create a vision and a path. But place your focus there with excitement, exuberance, and anticipation. Empower yourself by focusing on what is in your control and let what you can not change go.
- Time to be present. Spend time there and focus on the positive, regardless of your circumstance. If things are going well feel gratitude. If you are experiencing a hardship see it as an opportunity. Avoid worry and what if’ing and instead find what is in your control and focus there.I love this quote: “Challenges can be stepping stones or stumbling blocks. It’s just a matter of how you view them.” An Unknown Author Choose the thoughts that serve you in the moment and be present.
- And, please, pay attention in those simple moments:
- Is there a beautiful sunrise happening during your routine drive to work?
- Are the leaves turning or flowers blooming?
- Take time to breath and look around your home with gratitude.
- Are there people around you who would love to connect with you?
- Remember to ask your kids how their day was.
- Greet your significant other when they walk into the room.
- Take the time to feel the love you have for others and express it.
- Notice the co-worker passing in the hall and take a moment.
Today, be intentional with your thoughts. Begin to practice this control. No more meandering minds.
Need a comprehensive program to help you defeat drama in your organization?
Join the Defeat the Drama, Delight Your Customers and Improve Your Bottom Line Boot Camp
A Surefire 7 Step System to Get your Team Doing what you Need, Loving what they Do & Directing Focus where it Should Be
You Will Learn To:
- Gain Clarityabout what you sell, how it should feel and why do you do what you do?
2. Generate Actions Aligned with Business Objectives
3. Empower Your Team to take Targeted Actionwith Tenacity
4. Identify and Remove Barriers to Team Productivity
5. Drive Focused Employee Correction Conversations
6. Hire Well
7. Establish Harmony and Productivity
Kirsten will personally walk you through the required transformation step by step via video. Each module is available 24/7 and includes an Action Guide to walk you through implementation. You will also have access to exclusive office hours with Kirsten.
Click to get your discount exclusively for Podcast listeners: http://www.defeatthedrama.com/podcastdiscount