DTD Episode 52 Show Notes
4 Steps You Must Follow to Avoid the Disastrous Drama Generating New Hire: Sift
- Use an Auto-Responder with an Activity. This will weed out the Click and Send Candidates
- Review Resumes Looking for:
- Required Skills/Education
– Gaps in Service
– Significant Achievements
– Experience Related to the Job
- Phone Screen with Potential Candidates
- Then Set up More In-Depth Interviews face to face if they are local – Skype or other if they are not
- Start on time.
- Help them be their best. Put them at ease. No intimidation.
- Begin with some general conversational questions. Ex. did you find us okay? How is the weather?
- Explain how the interview will progress
- Explain that you will be taking notes
- Get a Sense of their Career History
- Get Clarification on Relevant Skills, Experience or Education
- Ask about any Gaps in Employment
- Do not Ask any follow-up questions if they say something personal Ex. I was home with kids. Just move on.
- Use Prepared Behavioral Questions
Great First Question
- Let’s start by working backwards through your resume. I want to get a sense of your career history.
- Start with the oldest job first
– For each job explain basic job responsibilities
– Tell me anything you are particularly proud of
– Tell me why you left
Behavioral Based Interviewing: Based on the assumption that past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior.
It’s Like a Crystal Ball
Behavioral Based Interviewing Questions:
- What was the situation?
- What did you do?
- What was the outcome?
- Clarify the specific role
– Follow Directions?
- Behavioral Questions Can Be Tough
- Focus on Getting their Best Answer over a Quick Answer
- Let the Candidate Think
- Tell them it’s Okay to Take Time before They Answer.
- If they seem Flustered Continue to Reassure them and then Be Silent
Control the Interview
- Don’t let the candidate hijack the interview
- Stay on track
- Stop them if answers get too long, wordy or off track. Too Much Talking isn’t an Automatic No
- About Your Organization
- About the Job
- Be Realistic – Help them make an informed decision
- Next Steps
Click to get your discount exclusively for Podcast listeners: http://www.defeatthedrama.com/podcastdiscount
Submit your Drama Question at the below link…